Dinner and a movie

Thursday night we went out for sushi at Fuji Sushi on Brookside, a first for us. They have an all-you-can-eat special between 5 and 7 p.m., so we took advantage of it. We sat at the bar where they were frantically rolling sushi of all types, trying to keep up with the demands of their early-bird special.

We went for the "Emperor" plan...5 pieces of sashimi, 2 types of nigiri and 2 rolls. EACH! And you could order more after that, but we were so stuffed with just the first round. All of it was super yummy. We especially liked the Michelle roll and and I.J. Roll. Everything was fresh, tasty and beautifully presented. The portions were generous, especially compared to other sushi places in town, like In the Raw. We'll definitely go again.

Afterwards we went and say Slumdog Millionaire. What a film! We totally get why it is so acclaimed this award season. Seeing the footage of Mumbai really impressed upon me just how good we have it. I remember after working Bangkok having the same feeling. Of course there are places right here at home that need improvement, but it's nothing like what the poorest of the poor in developing countries face. The movie was touching, poignant and also incredibly uplifting and devastating at the same time. Amazing.

Today it was FREEZING! In the 20's with wind...such a stark contrast to the record high of 81 on Wednesday. So we bundled up and went to a matinée of Frost-Nixon. Another excellent film filled with riveting performances. Afterwards we headed to T.G.I.Friday's for my new crave: California Turkey Burger with Sweet Potato Fries. Afterwards we had frozen yogurt at Braum's. YUMMY, yummy!



Speaking of yummy, on our grocery shopping trip today we picked up some grāpples. They are a mix between an apple and a grape. It smells heavenly and tastes divine! A grape flavored Washington apple. They are not genetically altered, but they are infused with natural grape flavor by taking a bath in purple grape juice and water. I could totally see kids snapping these up as their favorite treat. They are kind of pricey, so we won't be purchasing them regularly, but I was curious and pleasantly surprise that they tasted as good as they smelled.

2 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I loved Slumdog Millionaire.

I'm going to have to try a grapple. I questioned Sweetie about grapples and she said she has seen them. We might try them.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to go to Fuji. I've been to both ITR's as well as Tsunami. I LOVE my sushi. It's been forever since I've had any.

It has been a very chilly weekend! I try not to complain too much because where I'm from they just got 9 inches of snow and are still in negative temps. But still - brrrr!