Getting Healthy and Shaping Up...and a rant.

Okay, so I am not one for resolutions per se, but I am a goal setter (and achiever). So 2008 was all about transitions and 2009 is all about action for us in the Wright household. That includes getting active! On a regular basis. And eating better. For health and wellness. This is a shift in thinking for me. Until now "eating better and exercise" were code for dieting to lose weight.

Well, I have had a shift in thinking on this. Do I want to lose weight? Sure. But it is not the primary goal here. The good news is, it's working! I am down 10 lbs. My goal is to be 50 lbs. lighter by summer. I am eating home cooked, minimeals every 2-3 hours, drinking 3 liters of water a day and eating tons of lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies. And walking 2-3 miles/day at 65% of my target heart rate.

Which brings me to a rant. Why oh why do people feel the need to say to overweight folks, "you really need to lose some weight." For the love of all things sacred, don't they know that WE KNOW THIS?! We think about it everyday, for probably more hours in the day than is actually healthy.

And, I am sorry, but you know what? Never, ever in 30+ years of my life on this earth, (being hyper-aware that I was "bigger" than others even though I never really was actually overweight until my late teens, but thought I was my entire life from the time I was 4 because I was bigger than other kids my age), has being told "you should lose weight" actually been helpful or beneficial to me. Not even when it was uttered from the mouths of those who love me most. It hurts. And actually has made the situation worse for me many times (hello comfort food)!

So if you're reading this, and you've never struggled with your weight or even if you have and won the battle or in the process of losing weight yourself, please, please don't tell me "it's out of concern...love...caring.... insert whatever veiled-nicety-that-makes-you-feel-better-about hurting-my-feelings....that you need to lose weight." Trust me, I know. And furthermore, no one will ever lose weight long term if they are doing it for any other reason other than their own. So, yeah, your "gentle nudge" is not motivational. Unless you're trying to motivate me to ditch our relationship for one with Ben & Jerry.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's similar to how I felt about smoking. It's like I KNOW how bad and unhealthy it is for me!

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry who had to put in their two cents about how I really need to quite got at best a smug look from me.

The more people hassled me about it, the more I didn't care. I told everyone that when I was ready to do it because I wanted to, only then would it actually work.

Becky said...

I am right there with you on your rant! As an overweight person the last thing I need to hear is that I need to loose weight. Yep - I am well aware. Sounds like you are doing really well with your healthy lifestyle - good for you!
P.S. - this is RD913 from the nest!

Jeff Shaw said...

Same with smoking. I used to smoke like a train, and people would say "you really should stop smoking." Duh.

I tried 40 times to quit smoking. After my son was born, it became very easy.

You have to want it, and its a personal thing.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The other thing is people remarking "Is that on your diet?" everytime you try and potato chip.

Hell no, is not on my diet. Mind your own business.