First August Post

Well...since I only had two in July, I am already half way there for August, right? But seriously, I mean to be blogging more, but quite honestly, our life is very predictable right now. Sleep is my top priority and it seems I can never have enough! And then there's work...which right now means Saturdays a couple times of month for the next few months.

Last Saturday I worked and all was going well until late in the day when one of the committee members, who came in from out of town, started to feel ill. She got hot and her heart started racing. Long story short, we called 911 and the paramedics took her to the hospital to check her out. We finished our meeting a couple of hours later and I took the other two members to go see her at the hospital. She was still in the emergency room and hadn't much information for us at that point. The doc did say she'd have to stay the night for observation. So we flew into action, canceling her flight for the next morning and checking her out of her hotel room. I took the two others to get a bite to eat and pick up a sandwich for their comrade in the Emergency Room since she hadn't eaten for hours.

The next day (Sunday) the other two members flew back home to their respective cities and states and the one left in the hospital called me to say that she was being discharged, but that her friend was already en route to Tulsa. So I rebooked her a room at the hotel where our company has a contract, picked her up at the hospital and checked her into the hotel. Then we went to the Tulsa Airport to pick up her friend. They asked if we could swing by my office (which is National Headquarters for their organization) and I gave them a quick tour of the building. Finally, I dropped them at the hotel. Whew! Not the way I had planned to spend my weekend, but I was glad to have been there for her in her time of need. Turns out her episode was most likely stress coupled with lack of sleep, and too much caffeine! I am glad it wasn't worse. And I feel like it's good karma for when I am traveling in the coming months...God forbid anything should happen to me or the baby, but I would want someone local to be there to help me in my time of need too.

So I basically worked both Saturday and Sunday last week. So I took this past Friday off. Which was great. I caught up on sleep for sure! Thankfully, last Sunday morning, J and I were able to attend church for the first time in nearly a year. We're going to All Souls here in Tulsa and are really enjoying it. We plan to go again this Sunday. Since he's no longer working double shifts on the weekend, it is something that we can do together, consistently, which is great.

Speaking of J, he arrived home late Thursday evening (I picked him up around midnight Friday morning, actually) after being in Las Vegas with his folks since Tuesday. Unfortunately, his father was readmitted to the hospital just after his arrival and is still there. We think the docs have figure out what is going on, but it's still scary. He is now receiving dialysis five hours each day! J plans to go back in early October, after he completes his five week CNA course at TCC. Please keep J and his parents in your thoughts. It's been rough to have both his mother and father with failing health. If anything, it has motivated both of us to become as healthy as possible so that we aren't in the same situation 20-30 years from now.

What else is going on? We have an appointment with our OB/GYN on Thursday and will get another peek at the Little Being. Hopefully we'll get a good, clear pic to post! And I think I am starting to "pop." At least my pre-pregnancy chub is getting firmer and starting to look more like a baby bump. I am still in my pre-pregnancy clothes, but feel it's only a matter of time before I will be in my maternity wear. I've scored some great pieces for work of eBay!

I am also in the process of contacting a doula to help us when our Little Being decides to come. I hope that I can find someone we like. I am sure that we will...luckily Tulsa has some great options. Now, if they'd only start a diaper service!?!? We want to cloth diaper and since there's no diaper service here it will be DIY for us. Women have done it for years, so I know that I can too, but a diaper service would just make it so much easier. Ah well. We're committed to making cloth diapering work. So I've just started my research on it all. Wish me luck!


tulsamom said...

Disposable diapers were only available for the last of my 3 children and I thought they were wonderful. They may be bad for the environment but they were much better for the baby. You might think about using them at least for overnight since they wick the moisture away from the babies skin and there is much less irritation.